Maui Black Sand Beach

Maui Black Sand Beach
Summer Vacation...Now back to work

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Blog Post #10 Face to Face


The last two days of class has provided me with a tremendous amount of information that I know I will use immediately and information that I will refer back to when I am in an administrative position.  I appreciate the time the Human Resource Administrators spent with us.  I couldn’t take notes fast enough. 

Friday
  • You are who you hire.  Take the time to paper screen, call references, and do my homework (Google their names)
  • Teachers with the “Can’t vs. Won’t” attitude.  An administrator only has one and a half years to determine whether a teacher is “worth” keeping.
  • When having those “difficult” conversations….Remember, they did it and I am the one holding them accountable. 
  • The most important job that I will do is hire people.
  • Put everything out on the table during interviews.  List the non-negotiable expectations.
  • Do NOT sit in your office – Get out there….Get in the classrooms
  • Once you set the expectations be willing and prepared to have the difficult conversations with those not performing.
  • Give yourself time to reflect before making decisions.

I appreciate that all three HR Administrators took the time to discuss with us what we should expect in interviews.  They explained how casual conversations can be interviews and to make sure we are always representing ourselves in the most positive light. 

Saturday

Dr. Bradley was AMAZING.  I look forward to downloading his PowerPoint off of Blackboard.  His presentation was full of vital information.  I am glad he guided us through the process of determining State Aid and explained the details of categorical funding.  As future leaders there is an incredible amount of information that we need to know in order to be successful.  Of course most of the information will come with experience and I believe that it is crucial to surround yourself as a new administrator with knowledgeable people and people that can teach you. 

Thank you for a great two days. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Shannon,
    I could not agree more. The advise by the HR representatives was very informative.Thank you for commenting on my blog and for sharing your insights during this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon, after reading your post I realized we had some of the same key points from both days. Lots of good information to help us become effective leaders. Good job posting!

    ReplyDelete