Maui Black Sand Beach

Maui Black Sand Beach
Summer Vacation...Now back to work

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Leadership Connectors – Chapter six: Trust


Trust…Such a HUGE word.  I appreciate how the author of this text connects all of the leadership connectors with trust and states that in order for trust to be present all of the other connectors must be present.  As a teacher I have worked for many people in three different schools districts that I simply did not trust.  It’s a horrible feeling.  I have shared an office with a teacher where I had to be careful of what I said on the phone because she would share my conversations with others.  I have worked for principals where they would take the word of others without investigating or observing to find truth.  It makes you feel unsafe, defensive, and not valued.  As a leader I pray that I never make anyone feel this way.  I appreciate the suggestions from the text on how to avoid betrayal and perceived betrayal.  Of course most of it is common sense but the one that continues to catch my attention is “listen more than you speak.”  This is easier said than done, especially if it’s something you are passionate about.  This is something I truly want to work on.  I need to turn my focus to what my colleagues are truly saying so I can then decide if my comments will help or hurt the situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment